Masala Rice is staple dish in South Asian cuisine and usually on rotation for quick weekday meals. Our Garam Masala blend of spices infuse the rice with rich flavour notes of cloves, cardamom, cumin to name a few. Due to its rich flavours, Masala rice on its own or with a side of our Jadoo Yogurt Chutney.
Yield: 2-3 Servings
Active Time: 25 min
Active Time: 45-55
1 cup Basmati Rice
2 Chopped tomatoes
1 chopped onion
1 tbsp of ginger paste
2 Bay Leaves whole
2 1/2 Tbsp of Fusion Spice Works Garam Masala
1 tsp salt
1. Soak rice in water for 10-20 minutes
2. Heat a pot with oil and add in your chopped onions, cook until brown
3. Add in your ginger paste, salt and Garam Masala and stir in pot for about a minute
4. Add in chopped tomatoes and cook until tomatoes are mashed. Stir occasionally.
5. Drain the rice and add into the pot
6. Add 1 and 1/2 cup of water into pot and stir until just combined.
7. Place lid on top and cook for 15-20 minutes or until rice is cooked.
You can add chili peppers in with the tomatoes or chili powder with the Fusion garam masala if you want to make this spicy.
This recipe is the perfect base recipe to build on, experiment with vegetables to make a more nutritious meal. We usually add in some frozen peas and carrots after the spices are added so that they soak up some of the spices along with the rice.
For extra protein add some drained canned chickpeas in with the rice.